Friday, August 1, 2014

The People of Training Camp



What a great day to start off August! 84 degrees and sunny. 

To start off with this post, I want to say that part of this blog is to include the community of Mankato, and how the Vikings coming here, affects different aspects of it. For 49 years, the Vikings have been coming down to Mankato to put on their pre-season training camp which is a great kick-off for their season. It brings down tons of well-known media crews, radio stations, sports writers, and bloggers that report the ins and outs of the Vikings practice, team, and organization. I however, want to tell you some of the ins and outs of the people affected by training camp. I want to bring you stories from behind the scenes. Stories on how training camp affects the town, the community, the people, fans, workers, interns and others... that don't usually get reported. 

So for my first inside story, I am going to talk about my experience at this Friday morning's practice with a particular touching group of people. 

As I was waiting for the post-practice press conference, I noticed a group of people waiting in line to get autographs in the area that players pass to return to campus. Curious, I approached the woman who looked in charge and asked politely what this group was for. She sweetly informed me that their group is from an organization called Ventures Travel. She, Lisa Moore, is the director and said it is an organization that provides trips and vacations for people with disabilities. Touched by what she told me I asked if I could take some pictures during the autograph signings, and ask some of the group members a couple questions about the team and training camp. 

As the Vikings players started proceeding through the gates, this is what I captured:


Cornerback Xavier Rhodes
Quarterback Matt Cassel
       

Andrew With Adrian Peterson
Here is a picture of Adrian Peterson signing a poster for a group member named Andrew. I got to speak with Andrew and asked him who his favorite player was.

He responded, "Matt Cassel, Adrian Peterson, and fourty-eight."

I then asked how he enjoyed training camp today and he said with a big smile, "Very good!"

I also got a picture of Andrew with Marcus Ableman, who was in charge of the group today. Ableman is an Operations Intern for the Minnesota Vikings and a graduate assistant with Minnesota State Athletics.







Andrew With Marcus Ableman
Tarlisha


This next picture is of Tarlisha. I had remembered waving at her earlier on in practice as I was walking by and getting an energetic wave and huge smile back. Director Lisa Moore said she would be a fun one to interview.

When I asked Tarlisha who her favorite players on the team were, she couldn't stop listing names.

Some of her few favorites included Adrian Peterson, Matt Cassel, and Christian Ponder. When I asked why she liked them she said, "They're really good at football and they have huge muscles."






Tarlisha With Harrison Smith
Cassel 
Running Back Joe Banyard

To sum this up, all I can say is that I was completely touched. It was amazing to see the how the Vikings players interacted with each one of the group members of Ventures Travel. They didn't act as if they had just had an hour of practice right before, or that they wanted to sign the posters and be on their way. Each Vikings player I saw go through that line today, took the time to say hello, interact, and make the group member feel just like a friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment